What is dementia?
Not actually a specific disease, dementia is a group of symptoms that signal changes in mental processes due to disease or injury to the brain. These symptoms are marked by memory loss, changes in personality, and declining reasoning skills.
We Provide Memory Care in Knoxville
As we get older, it is natural for our memories to decline to an extent over time, but conditions like Alzheimer’s and other types of dementia can exacerbate this decline, resulting in difficulty with thinking, reasoning, and performing simple daily tasks. People with dementia may lose everyday items, such as wallets, keys, or items of clothing, or they may miss appointments, forget to eat meals, or get lost in familiar neighborhoods. If you or a loved one struggles with dementia, we hope you consider joining our senior community at Prosperity Pointe Assisted Living. We provide comprehensive memory care as part of our elderly care services.
Our memory care residents enjoy all of the amenities afforded to our assisted living residents with the added comfort of having a caregiver by their sides to provide for their feeling of safety and well-being. Residents will further benefit from specialized programming centered on the various forms of dementia with the understanding that each area of dementia brings different opportunities to enrich the lives of those we serve. Features of our dementia care program include the following:
- Dedicated nurse
- “Happiness Is” program
- Dementia unit with “Remember When” specialized memory care
- Mind, body, and soul therapy
- Mighty Max pet therapy
- Small group activities
- Finger food diet
- Hand over hand assistance
- Ongoing staff training
- Volunteer service opportunities
When is the move to an assisted living community right for someone with dementia?
If you’re not sure if you or your loved one is struggling with dementia, you should seek a professional diagnosis. Your physician will use a series of cognitive, neurological, and laboratory tests, including brain scans, to determine if you or your loved one’s symptoms are indicating dementia. In the meantime, keep an eye out for the following signs that can often signal this condition:
- An inability to remember the day, date, season, or other indications of time and place.
- A loss of interest in hobbies, often marked by a loss of interest in learning new things.
- A propensity to misplace things, often unable to “retrace your steps.”
- An inability to remember words once used frequently in everyday life.
- A decline in reasoning skills, judgement, and decision-making skills.
- An inability to perform daily tasks around the home.
- A withdrawal from work, friends, or family.
- A notable change in mood or personality.
- Difficulty with planning and scheduling.
- Repetitive questions or actions.
If you or your loved one struggles with memory, allow our team of professionals to provide him or her with the memory care he or she needs. Our goal here at Prosperity Pointe Assisted Living is for all of our residents to prosper, and we would love the opportunity to bring you or your loved one into our community. Have questions, comments, or concerns to share with our staff? Please don’t hesitate to get in touch by calling or contacting us online.